History

1953

Establishment of the Protein Foundation as an independent institution to continue basic research begun in the Harvard Medical School laboratories of Professor Edwin Cohn

cohn

1972

Merger of the Protein Foundation with the Blood Grouping Laboratory of Children’s Hospital Boston, founded by Dr. Louis Diamond, to form the Center for Blood Research (CBR)

logo_1953
CBR moves laboratories and offices into 800 Huntington Avenue in Boston

1986

The Center becomes an academic affiliate of Harvard Medical School

hms_shield

1987

Fred S. Rosen, M.D., becomes president of CBR

rosen

1992

CBR expands into the Warren Alpert Building on the campus of Harvard Medical School

longwood

1994

The Jeffrey Modell National Diagnostics Center at CBR for immunodeficiency established by the Jeffrey Modell Foundation

2001

The Harry Keefe Scholars Program endowed at CBR by Trustee Harry Keefe, Jr. to support summer internships by Boston Latin School students

CBR moves administrative offices into 350 Longwood Avenue, Boston

2003

CBR becomes The CBR Institute for Biomedical Research (CBRI)

logo_shield

2004

CBRI passes the $30 million mark in annual NIH funding

Strategic plan adopted, focusing the Institute’s research on immune defense and inflammation and providing the planning and fiscal framework for the next decade of breakthrough discoveries by CBRI scientists

2005

John C. Baldwin, M.D. becomes President and CEO of the Institute

baldwin_thumb